The building is metaphorically called the Dancing House or also Ginger and Fred. It is named this way because of the towers reminding of the famous dancers Ginger Rogers and Fred Astair. The building was awarded the prestige prize of the American Time magazine – it won the category of design in 1996.
The house is used as an office building. However, you can visit the French restaurant on the roof with a magnificent view of the Vltava River and Prague Castle panorama.
The ” Dancing House ” is set on a property of great historical significance. Its site was the location of a house destroyed by the U.S. bombing of Prague in 1945. The plot and structure lay decrepit until 1960, when the area was cleared.
The building’s value has been estimated at between CZK 250 million and 300 million, or around USD 13 to 15 million. The exceedingly high price and the specific nature of the structure mean that any sale could take years to complete.
Frank Gehry Vlado Milunić Танцующий дом / Архитекторы After the final clearance of debris in 1960 the former government had been arguing about the purpose of this place for more than 30 years. Dancing House was designed by Croatian architect Vlado Milunić along with Frank O. Gehry and British architect of Czech origin Eva Jiřičná.
Materials. The buildings, with a surface of 5842m², were constructed in steel , glass and prefabricated concrete panels, finished with plaster characteristic of the local architecture. For the building parallel to the river, they used concrete panels in 99 different shapes and dimensions.